Sick of crunches? So like me. Luckily, abdominal exercises alone do not a flat belly make. In fact, there are loads of little things from what you drink to the way you handle stress that can make or break your middle. Read this! I have 6 easy ways to start shrinking without crunching.
1. Calm down - Too much stress can contribute to a potbelly. Stress increases levels of cortisol, a hormone that seems to direct fat to our middle. To keep levels low, try this 5 - 10minute stress reducer:
- Find a quiet, comfortable place to sit.
- Take several slow, deep breaths to help clear your mind.
- Continue breathing deeply and repeat the word one to yourself as you exhale. (If you get distracted, just bring your focus back to the word one.)
p/s: practice this for 5 to 10 minutes once or twice a day.
2. Stop smoking - “It keeps me thin,” proclaim many smokers. But the truth is that smokers tend to have more abdominal fat than nonsmokers. (The stress hormone cortisol seems to be the culprit here too.) When people stop smoking, the amount of abdominal fat actually decreases.
3. Eat more fiber - Not only is fiber great for overall weight loss (it fills you up so you don't eat as such), but it also prevents constipation, which can cause your tummy to bulge. To stay regular, aim for 22 to 25 g of fiber a day by eating more whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
5. Keep bones strong - Osteoporosis can lead to fractured bones in your spine, causing you to slump. That shortens your abdominal cavity, giving your belly no place to go but out. Be sure to get 1,000 mg of calcium every day from the foods you eat and or from supplements.
6. Get your heart rate up - All the exercises in the world won't do a thing unless you get rid of the fat hiding your abdominal muscles. The best way is to do aerobic exercise for 45 to 60 minutes, 5 times a week.