Tips : 10 Memory tricks You Need to Know
Saturday, July 3, 2010 | 1:16 PM | 5 commentsCan't remember where you put your glasses? Blanked on your new colleague's name? Forgetting these types of things is a sign of how busy we are. When we're not paying good attention, the memories we form aren't very robust and we have a problem retrieving the information later.
Sure, you could write everything down, keep organized lists and leave electronic notes on your BlackBerry, cell phone or PDA. But when you don't have access to those aids or if you want to strengthen your brain, try these expert recommended strategies to help you remember.
- Pay attention.
- Cheat a little. Supplement these tips with some more concrete actions.
- Create memorable associations.
- Give a play-by-play. Pay attention to what you're doing as you place your glasses on the end table.
- Make it a habit. Put a small basket on a side table. Train yourself to put your keys, glasses, cell phone or any other object you frequently use or misplace in the basket every time.
- Sing it.
- Try mnemonic devices.
- Make a map. Imagine an intersection and mentally place a word, fact or number on each street corner.
- Use color. Give your notes some color with bold headings and bullet sections (it's easier to remember a red bullet than running text).
- Read it, type it, say it, hear it.