Recepi : Vegetable and Nut Bread
Wednesday, September 29, 2010 | 7:01 PM | 0 commentsFor this loaf, I used grated raw sweet potato and chopped walnuts. You could alternatively bake the batter as muffins, prepare as directed then divide among 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups and bake at 400°F for 20 to 30 minutes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I use half whole wheat, half all-purpose)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup orange or apple juice or milk
- grated zest of an orange or lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup any raw fruit or vegetable like small berries left whole, anything else peeled and grated or chopped (I used grated sweet potato)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
How to make :
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with butter.
- In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients using a fork, pastry blender or your fingers until there are no pieces bigger than a small pea. (You can use a food processor for this step, which makes it quite easy but you should not use a food processor for the remaining steps or the bread will be tough.)
- In another bowl whisk together the juice, zest and egg. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula just enough to moisten, do not beat and do not mix until the batter is smooth.
- Fold in the fruit and the nuts then pour and spoon the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for about an hour or until the bread is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Makes 1 loaf.